Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Adventures in Sewing

I have a confession to make, I am obsessed with the children’s clothes on etsy.com but live on a walmart.com budget, so obviously I cannot afford to buy everything I see and love on etsy.com.  I am a kreative person, who owns a sewing machine, so I should be able to make some of my children’s clothes, right? Sure, I have never sewn anything besides a straight line, and even that was not so straight. But I am sure I can make some Halloween outfits (not costumes) for my triplets to wear to their Halloween party. Plus my husband had 2 days off last week and could help me with the kids, which meant I had a few minutes to myself, between teaching classes at Kreative Kids and working- sounded like plenty of time to me.


So I went out to the fabric store intending to buy a pattern for a simple skirt with an elastic waistband for my girls and fabric to sew a tie on a onesie for my son. Should be easy enough- except they do not have patterns for simple skirts for skinny minny one year olds. So I came home with a pattern and all I needed to make each of my daughters a Halloween dress. I lay out the pattern and the fabric and I am already sweating, who knew it would take so long to cut out! Much more sweating, a few tears, a couple of YouTube videos, and a lot of seam ripping to fix mistakes, I persevered, and produced a wearable dress for my girls.


Now of course I think I am an expert and am already looking for patterns to make them Christmas dresses! Luckily we still have quite a bit of time before then so I think I might try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment